OF HISTORY AND SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENTS
FSBSI “Federal Scientific Center of Agricultural Biotechnology of the Far East named after A.K. Chaiki”
The museum was opened on 16 November 2012. The opening ceremony was dedicated to two memorable dates:
- the 110th anniversary of the birth of A.G. Volozhenin, an eminent Russian scholar;
- the 125th anniversary of the birth of N.I. Vavilov, an ingenious and internationally recognized Russian scientist.
The exhibition is organized according to modern standards and consists of several sections:
- Prehistoric agriculture in the territory of Primorsky krai;
- Migration and land development;
- History of the Center – from an experimental station to a scientific research institute of agriculture;
- Eminent scientists of our time;
- Innovative development of agricultural science in Primorsky krai.
The history of agriculture in Primorsky krai dates back to the days when the first settlements of hunter-gatherers were established here approximately 30 thousand years ago. Primitive agriculture was introduced to the territory of Primorye at the end of the Stone Age. The first large settlements appeared at the beginning of the Iron Age. The lifestyle of hunter-gatherers relied mostly on fishery, hunting and gathering edible wild plants, but agriculture was developing increasingly. Millet was cultivated mainly on the coast, barley was grown in the continental area.
At various times, the territory of modern Primorye was a part of such countries as the kingdom of Balhae, the Jin Empire and The Eastern Xia (1000 AD).
Numerous raids of hostile tribes and the Mongol Invasion resulted in the complete destruction of ancient civilizations and the desolation of Prymorye. A Chinese chronicler of that time wrote: “there were cities full of life at the places where now the desolation reigns and wild beasts roam”.
The museum houses an ancient artefact: a mealing stone of the Bronze Age. The desolation era continued until the beginning of colonization of the Far Eastern territories by Russian explorers.
The museum houses reports and books of Professor Okladnikov who studied ancient civilizations and carried out archeological excavations in the Primorye territory.
A powerful agrarian movement began in the Russian Empire in the 19th century. The government acknowledged the need to reduce the burden for the central regions of Russia and to start developing new lands.
Migrants from the European part of Russia and Siberia (the Cossacks of Don, Orenburg and Transbaikal, peasant families from the governorates of Voronezh, Astrakhan, Chernigov etc.) were the pioneers of the land development.
The migrants encountered formidable obstacles while cultivating agricultural crops in the severe climatic conditions of Primorsky krai. This was the reason for creating an experimental field to study different crops and meteorological conditions. The Department of Agriculture of the Main Directorate of Land Management allowed the Amur Department of State Property to establish an experimental field in the city of Nikol’sk-Ussuriysky in 1908.
The museum houses many historical documents, materials and items of that time:
- Tools of the first settlers;
- Handwritten report, 1908;
- Journals and almanacs, 1910-1930;
- An album with historical photographs depicting the work of scientists in the Experimental Field and at the Experimental Station in 1924-1956.
The Experimental Station changed its name many times throughout the years and was located in a historic building at first. Now there is a memorial plaque on that building.
Near the Experimental Station, a monument to scientist A.K. Timiryazev was set up. The settlement itself is named after this eminent researcher.
The museum houses several items of those times:
- A press machine, which was used to bind book blocks with covers in 19th century.
- Microscopes for laboratory research in 20th century.
- Mercedes Typewriter from the 19th century.
- Stands with information about the work and achievements of the researchers who made a significant contribution to the development of agricultural science in Primorye and in the Russian Far East and who are included in the Book of Honor of the Center.
The Experimental Station was reorganized into the Primorsky Scientific Research Institute of Agriculture in 1976. A.K. Chaika took charge of the Institute. He was an academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, a Doctor of Agricultural Sciences, a Professor and an Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation.
In its turn, the PrimSRIA was reorganized into Federal State Budget Scientific Institution “Federal Scientific Center of Agricultural Biotechnology of the Far East named after A.K. Chaiki” in 2018.
The modern part of the exhibition is comprised by stands with information on “the innovative development of agricultural science in Primorsky krai”.
Many years of research resulted in the creation of more than 45 varieties of field crops. All of them are included in the State Register of Selection Achievements admitted to use in the Russian Federation. Approximately 80 % of the total cultivated area in Primorsky krai is sown with seeds of our varieties. The scientists of the Institute developed technologies for the cultivation of grain crops, soybean, rice, buckwheat, maize, potato and some forage crops.
There is a big glass display case in the center of the museum with varieties of local origin and certificates and medals for scientific achievements.
During a tour of the museum, films and slide presentations about the history and scientific achievements of FSBSI “Federal Scientific Center of Agricultural Biotechnology of the Far East named after A.K. Chaiki” are shown on a LCD TV.
The museum houses a vast collection of the scholarly works and publications of our researchers.
The exhibition is constantly replenished with new show pieces and historical materials.
We invite students, schoolchildren, teachers and everyone interested to visit our museum.
You can make comments about the museum of FSBSI “Federal Scientific Center of Agricultural Biotechnology of the Far East named after A.K. Chaiki” in our Guest Book.
Ussuriysk, stl. Timiryazevsky
Volozhenina st., 30
Phone number 8(4234)39-27-19
Phone/Fax 8(4234) 39-24-00
Personal Assistant to the Director
Milinchuk Elena Vladimirovna